These facts make it harder to accomplish layout formatting for your reports.
Starting with 4.1 version, when new empty cells are created, they will be by default text-based with an empty string. The only case in which a band element is null is in a cell span.
The most important advantage is that we can start to format the cell immediately, we do not need a previous step of inserting an empty string. Practically the following business was modified :
- merge algorithm allows to merge cells with empty string
- insert row & insert column actions from layout and from tree will insert band elements with empty strings
- merge action will nullify all cells without data (empty strings)
- unmerge action will insert empty band elements inside the 'null' ones
- add group action will insert empty band elements in header & footer
- new report action will insert empty band elements in footer row